Monday 7 May 2007

Fast? Why?

I'm quite often annoyed by specs that I see for cars, or indeed cars that I see when I am out and about. If something booms past me, inevitably it'll be going in excess of the speed limit. Now emergency aside, why?

Let's look at this from another angle. Plenty of cars that go quite fast have a limiter set at 155mph. Why? That is more than double the legal speed on any UK road. Frankly, you'll probably never even use that speed on a track (they tend to have corners too y'see). You could go to an aerodrome and fly away. Would you though?

That leaves fast acceleration. Now, that can and is used by lots of people. Races at the lights for instance. I don't go in for that anymore and a lot of people don't once they've been driving a while. If you're in that much of a hurry, then be my guest.

This brings us to why people REALLY buy fast cars. Status. Plain and simple. It's the 'mine's faster than yours' that does it. More to the point, it's a truism. It probably is faster. But you know what, it's only you that's bothered, because on a track I could probably beat you anyway.

You know how to press the 'loud' pedal hard but you DON'T know where an apex of a turn is, what your max torque and power outputs or or probably even how to change your oil and check your pressures without using your in-car gauge. So, sod off. Whilst you're at it, go get caught doing 110mph down the A1.

No comments: