Friday 18 May 2007

Automated Parking Systems

I came across this concept quite recently and I was pretty stunned. I love the idea of just driving onto a metal ramp, getting out and watching the car being whisked to an allocated bay. Very impressive. It means all spaces get properly filled, no-one is parked badly and your car is unlikely to be vandalised given that the criminal would have to be like spiderman to reach it.

Two problems though. First, what if it goes wrong? What is my car is on the way down and it falls, or is squashed by another car? These things can and do go wrong, at least theoretically. As it's the first time I've heard of them though I dunno if they have. Second, what if I don't engage the handbreak well/correctly/if it fails? I've seen some pics of this and some of the cars look pretty high up. Maybe my car would actually squash me!

Anyway, if it means more/cheaper parking in the city centre, then I'm all for it. £1.10 p/h is a complete rip off. Christ, it'll get to the stage where parking meters in town make more per hour than the average person. Well okay, maybe not the average person... But still!

No comments: