Sunday 22 April 2007

Expensive Cars

This afternoon I had the pleasure of looking around a couple of showrooms with two of my cousins. I met a lovely older lady who had just made an order on a Porsche Boxster (not sure if it was the S or not, but if you read this do let me know) in red. A good choice. One interesting thing with car colours is that women seem to be a lot more open-minded whereas guys go for black, grey or silver if they're really pushing the boat out.

Regardless, this of course meant I was at a Porsche showroom. As well as Bentley, BMW, Aston Martin and many many others. Of course, the highlight was seeing a few DB9's. Unfortunately I didn't expect to make the visit so I haven't got any pics to show you - I promise I'll get some next time.

I will say though that top end motors on forecourts are bloody expensive. Take the DB9 in question. You're looking at only a few k off the magic £100,000 mark. Even better, the Bentley (might have been a flying spur or GT Continental but not sure) was actually closer to £150,000. This is the sort of place that, I'm sure, doesn't make many sales. But when it does, oh god are they rubbing their hands.

One of my cousins pointed out a discrepancy though. If you can buy an Aston Martin DB9 new for about 100k to 130k (probably also more depending on your options, aftermarket stuff etc) why would you buy one off a forecourt when you can't have the customed kick plates etc? Frankly I'm not sure - beyond the fact that it would mean you wouldn't have to wait for one.

Either way, we were looking at, on the Bentley forecourt at least, more than a cool millions' worth of cars. By any stretch of the imagination that is pretty damn impressive. However, although these cars were great, they didn't steal the show for me. A car that did was available in two places.

This car was the Nissan 350Z. The more I have read about it, the more desperate I've become to have this crazy Japanese, 3.5 litre, V6, two seater, mad drifting beast. Okay, so it is far and away the least practical car I have ever owned, but just go near one. Look at the lines. Look at the stupidly big engine. See the (depending on the model) striped tyres.

Everything about it screams the classic line of - I WANNA GO FAST! More importantly, this car also drifts. Oh boy does it drift. Well anyway, it's still out of my price range for the time being. Next year though, a 350Z will be in the price range... whilst a DB9 still will not. Nonetheless, I'm sure I'll be looking at them again next week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Older, ATTRACTIVE lady. And not just because she was buying a nice car.